Bletilla, common name urn orchid, is a temperate, terrestrial genus of orchids containing five currently recognized species distributed through China, Japan, Taiwan, south to Vietnam, Thailand and Myanmar. The name is actually a diminutive of Bletia because of the resemblance between the two genera even though Bletia is a New World genus. The genera Jimensia Raf. and Polytoma Lour. ex Gomes are generally included into Bletilla. This genus is abbreviated Ble in trade journals.
The pseudobulbs resemble spreading corms which usually sit at ground level. Each pseudobulb generally bears several pleated leaves around 40 cm long. The racemes of flowers emerge from the center of the years new growth before it is mature, during spring and early summer. The flowers vary in color from white to purple, and all species have four pollinia.
Let’s introduce to you a blind Chinese medicine-Ji. This product is a more commonly used Chinese medicine. First published “Shen Nong’s Materia Medica”.
The alias of Baiji: Baiji. Li Shizhen said: Its root is white, and it grows after being connected, hence the name Baiji.
The source of Bletilla striata: It is the dried tuber of Bletilla striata, a perennial herb of the orchid family. wild.
Bletilla striata production area: Mainly produced in Guizhou, Sichuan, Hunan, Hubei and other provinces, in addition to Zhejiang, Henan, Shaanxi, Guangdong, Guangxi, Yunnan, Jiangsu, Fujian, Jiangxi and other places also produce.
Character identification of Bletilla striata: tuber oblate. There are 2 to 3 bifurcations, slightly palm-shaped, 1.5 to 4.5 cm long, 0.5 to 1.5 cm thick, and bifurcated flat cone shape. The surface is yellow-white, with fine vertical wrinkles, slightly raised stem marks, and tight ring patterns around 2 to 3 circles. And point-like fine root marks, there is a broken residue connecting another tuber underneath, there are 1-2 circles of sparse ring patterns around, and 1-3 circles of sparse ring patterns on the bifurcations, and the ring patterns are brown or brown. The quality is hard and not easy to break. The cross-section is cutin-like, yellow-white translucent, Chinese medicine physicians, and scattered small spinal canal bundles. No gas, slightly bitter taste. Chewing produces mucus.
The rhizome is big, solid, white, bright, and smooth.
The main components of Bletilla striata: Bletilla striata gum (viscous) and volatile oil.
Efficacy and function of Bletilla striata: 1. Hemostasis, has a good local hemostatic effect. According to preliminary observations, its principle is to make blood cells agglutinate and form artificial thrombus. The hemostatic effect of Bletilla striata is rapid and reliable, which is better than that of purple grass, big and small thistle and so on.
2. Antibacterial, in vitro test has a significant inhibitory effect on Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and can also inhibit Gram-positive bacteria.
3. Anti-fungal, the water extract has an inhibitory effect on Microsporum odulina in the test tube.
The preparation of Bletilla striata: sliced and used raw.
Bletilla’s nature and flavor: pungent, bitter, slightly cold.
Bletilla striata’s return meridian: enter the lung, stomach, and kidney meridians.
The function of Bletilla striata: remove blood stasis and stop bleeding, nourish the lungs and grow muscles.
Indications of Bletilla striata: hemoptysis, vomiting, epistaxis, topical carbuncle, scald, dry and cracked skin.
The clinical application of Bletilla striata: 1. Treating bleeding in the lung and stomach, Bletilla striata is more commonly used. Use loquat leaves and donkey-hide gelatin beads to treat pulmonary hemorrhage. For example, Baiji Loquat Pill is a well-known prescription for treating pulmonary tuberculosis and hemoptysis. It can be used for cough and hemoptysis with yin deficiency and heat. To treat gastric ulcer bleeding, it is often combined with cuttlefish bone, or with brown charcoal, angelica charcoal, donkey-hide gelatin, white peony root, etc., such as ulcer bleeding soup.
2. External use to stop bleeding. Covering the wound with Bletilla gauze or powder is not only effective in hemostasis of skin damage, but also reliable in hemostasis of hepatic and renal vein bleeding during surgery. The hemostatic effect is better than gelatin sponge or starch sponge. For simple traumatic bleeding, bletilla striata powder can be used with gall powder to sprinkle on the affected area.
3. Treat tuberculosis. There are many doctors who used Bletilla to treat pulmonary tuberculosis in the past dynasties, and some even praised Bletilla striata for “tonifying the lungs”, but in fact, Bletilla striata is still used in the treatment of tuberculosis with hemoptysis. Although there are many modern applications of Bletilla in the treatment of infiltrating tuberculosis or cavitary tuberculosis, it is often used for other medicinal purposes. Certain effect, but more side effects). According to the traditional Chinese medicine experience, other medicines for nourishing yin and qi, such as tortoise shell, oyster, mangosteen, donkey-hide gelatin, codonopsis, astragalus, etc., are used to nourish, strengthen and supplement calcium. The effect of qualitative and antibacterial effects on promoting tuberculosis lesions to dissipate or fibrosis and calcification may be the principle of the so-called “replenishing the lung”, but how much Bletilla striata can play a role in it, this question needs to be further Research.
4. Treatment of bronchiectasis, cough and bloody sputum, can be used alone (Bletilla powder 3g each time, 3 times a day), but it is best to be combined with lily, Ophiopogon japonicus, Ejiao, Panax notoginseng, etc. to nourish yin The medicine and hemostatic medicine are used together.
For external use, Bletilla striata can also treat sores (grind the fines together with saponins, apply water, or apply honey), treat anal fissures (use Bletilla striata and gypsum powder to treat as an ointment and apply locally). Chapped skin (Bletilla powder is mixed with sesame oil and rubbed outside), which has a certain effect.
Caution for use: It is customary to avoid compatibility with aconite and aconite.
Dosage: 3-9g powder, 6-18g for decoction, 27-30g for large doses, appropriate amount for external use.
Prescription example: 1. Baiji loquat pills: Bletilla striata 30g, loquat leaves (dehairing and honey roasting) 15g, lotus roots 15g, donkey-hide gelatin beads (clam powder stir-frying) 15g, a total of fine powder, decoction with raw ground Pills, containing 3g each time, cure cough and blood, lung damage and yin deficiency.
2. Ulcer bleeding soup: Bletilla striata 12g, white peony 9g, old brown charcoal 9g, angelica charcoal 9g, donkey-hide gelatin 9g (dissolved), codonopsis 9g, astragalus 12g, decoction.
Note: Bletilla striata has the effect of anti-tuberculosis, and it is better to treat tuberculosis when combined with Remifen. Squid bone can treat bleeding from peptic ulcer.
For more knowledge, please continue to pay attention to us.