In soil science, humus (derived in 1790–1800 from the Latin humus for ‘earth, ground’) denominates the fraction of soil organic matter that is amorphous and without the “cellular cake structure characteristic of plants, micro-organisms or animals”. Humus significantly affects the bulk density of soil and contributes to its retention of moisture and nutrients. Although the terms humus and compost are informally used interchangeably, they are distinct soil components with different origins; humus is created through anaerobic fermentation, while compost is the result of aerobic decomposition.
In agriculture, “humus” sometimes also is used to describe mature or natural compost extracted from a woodland or other spontaneous source for use as a soil conditioner. It is also used to describe a topsoil horizon that contains organic matter (humus type, humus form, or humus profile).
More precisely, humus is the dark organic matter that forms in soil when dead plant and animal matter (including aerobic compost) breaks down further, specifically through the action of anaerobic organisms. Humus has many nutrients that improve the health of soil, nitrogen being the most important. The ratio of carbon to nitrogen (C:N) of humus is 10:1.
== Description ==
The primary material needed for the process of humification are plant materials. The composition of humus varies dependent on the composition of the primary materials and the secondary microbial and animal products.
We will share with you a single Chinese medicine-Humulus.
[Overview of traditional Chinese medicine of Humulus Humulus]
Humulus Humulus is the whole plant of the moraceae herb Humulus. Bitter, sweet, and cold. Return to the liver, lung, large intestine, bladder meridian.
1. To clear away heat and toxin: used for lung heat cough, lung carbuncle (tuberculosis), traditional Chinese medicine physicians, night sweats, heat cough, chest tightness, etc., can be used as a medicine for clearing lungs.
2. Damp-heat and astringent pain: Used for dysuria, edema, hot shower, stone shower, blood in urine, diarrhea, dysentery, malaria, etc.
3. Dispelling wind and relieving itching: used for eczema, skin itching, etc.
【Identification of the efficacy of Humulus humulus】
This product has better efficacy in clearing away heat and detoxification, dispelling dampness and eliminating blood stasis, and it has better efficacy in treating itchy sores when combined with white moss skin.
[Clinical application of Humulus humulus]
1. Cure upper respiratory tract infection, chronic bronchitis, nephritis. Take 500g of this product, add 1000ml of water, boil for 30 minutes, decoct until halfway through, drink and take;
2. Treat tuberculosis, belong to the type of yin deficiency, dry cough, little sputum, sputum with blood, dry mouth, dry throat, afternoon tide Hot, bone steaming and night sweats. Take 150g of this product, 50g of Baibubai and 50g of Prunella vulgaris, add 200g of sugar after decoction, and take 2 times a day.
[Chemical components of Humulus]
Contains luteolin, glucoside, choline and asparagine, etc.
[Dosage and Usage of Humulus]
9-28g of this product, decocted in water, or as an agent.